So let’s get this out of the way right off the bat: you can make any number of crazy pizzas. I am specifically proposing this combination because it is an excellent use for leftover roast chicken and, as such, is a very practical recipe. I also owe you a recipe for using with the pizza dough recipe although I was planning to hold off posting this until I had managed to post the marinara sauce recipe. Also keep in mind that perfectly round pizza does not taste better than a less than round pizza. Perfectly round pizzas frequently taste much like the boxes in which they arrive when they are delivered by a kid driving a car older than he is.
- Half sheet pan (cookie sheet will do in a pinch)
- Rolling pin
- Pizza cutting device
- In an ideal world a pizza stone
- 1 ball pizza dough at room temperature
- Little bit of flour for sprinkling on your works surface
- Little bit of olive oil for coating the baking pan
- Leftover meat from a roast chicken, pulled off the chicken and shredded
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 shallots, sliced thin
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz shredded parmesan
- 8 oz log of chèvre (goat cheese) cut into 1/4″ discs
- 12 oz jar quartered artichoke hearts drained
- 1 lb baby spinach
- Salt & pepper
Time: Assuming you start with room temperature dough, 15 minutes prep, 17-19 minutes in the oven, 5 minutes to cool so let’s say about 40 minutes.
Serves: 4 normal people, 1 cochon mechant
- Preheat the oven to 550º with a rack in the bottom third of the oven(If using a pizza stone you should allow an extra half hour to let the stone heat up)
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and give the dough a couple of quick kneads just to knock it down and make sure it’s room temperature all the way through
- Roll out the dough until it’s about the same size as the half sheet pan
- Lightly oil the half sheet pan
- Transfer (this is the hardest part) the dough to the half sheet pan and try to get it to cover as much of the pan as possible
- Using a spoon, spread out the marinara sauce so that it coats the dough evenly
- Next spread the spinach evenly over the dough. It’s important to start with the spinach because if you put the spinach on top it will burn up and be nasty.
- Next spread the mozzarella evenly over the dough
- Next spread the artichokes evenly over the dough
- Next spread the shredded chicken evenly over the dough
- Next spread the parmesan evenly over the dough
- Next distribute the discs of goat cheese evenly over the dough
- Put the pizza in the oven for about 17-19 minutes until the edges of the crust are a little darker than the color of khaki pants.
- Let it cool off before you start cramming it into your mouth or you will burn yourself.
Wrap leftovers in foil and refrigerate. To reheat, open foil and pop in the oven at 350º for about 15 minutes.